Support and resources for families, children and young people
Find information, support and resources for your family and children.
On this page
Resources for families
Maternal and Child Health
Support service to families with children 0-6 years of age. Call 5472 1364
Australian Breastfeeding Association
24 hour breastfeeding support. Call 1800 686 268 or visit Australian Breastfeeding Association
Parenting counselling support service. Call 13 22 89 (8am to midnight) 7 days a week.
Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
Provides comprehensive services for children and adolescents experiencing mental health problems. Call 1300 363 788 24 hours for emergency and new referrals.
Chirp Community Health – 5479 1000
Free generalist counselling, Family counselling, Children’s counselling (0-12 years with GP referral)
Department of Education advice for parents, carers and guardians – www.education.vic.gov.au/parents
Wellbeing activities and conversation starters for parents of primary school-aged children
Partners in Parenting – Raising Resilient Teenagers – www.partnersinparenting.com.au
Partners in Parenting – Tips for helping teenagers deal with the coronavirus pandemic
Resilient Youth – www.resilientyouth.org/free-resources
Online digital Dads groups – www.dadsgroup.org
Resources for Children
For children and young people, aged up to 25 years. Call 1800 551 800 (24 hours) for email and web counselling visit www.kidshelp.com.au www.kidshelpline.com.au/niggle – A free app for youth designed as a self-help toolkit for all things related to mental, social and emotional wellbeing.
ABC Education resources- www.abc.net.au/tveducation
Resources for Young People
If you need to chat, reach out! Check out all the ways below to get in touch with the Mount Alexander Shire Youth team.
- Instagram: @mountalexandershireyouth
- Facebook: Mount Alexander Shire Youth
- Call: 5471 1700 and ask for the youth team
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.mountalexandershireyouth.com.au
Download the Buzz It Card for information about services and support available to young people in our shire.
If you need support now help is available:
- Lifeline (crisis support and suicide prevention): 13 11 14
- Kids Help Line: 1800 55 1800
- Mental Health Triage (mental health crisis): 1300 363 788
- Sexual Assault Crisis Line: 1800 806 292
- SuicideLine: 1300 651 251
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
- 1800 Respect (family violence or sexual assault): 1800 737 732
- Youth Affairs Council Victoria – A – Z Support on COVID-19
- Keep in Touch app for young people. Kit is a mobile mental health tool kit fuelled with positive purpose www.keepintouch.org.au
- Headspace provides early intervention mental health services to 12-25 year olds. Bendigo Headspace 5434 5345 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.headspace.org.au
- Headspace – How to cope with stress related to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- eheadspace – Online and webchat support and counselling for 12-25 year olds, their family and friends
- Reach Out has practical tools, support and moderated forums to help youth get through everything from every day issues to tough times. They also have a dedicated COVID-19 Loneliness resource page
- Niggle is a free app for youth designed as a self-help toolkit for all things related to mental, social and emotional wellbeing. www.kidshelpline.com.au/niggle