Cemetery for Chewton township.
Burials at Castlemaine Cemetery (which is actually at Campbells Creek) date back to 1853.
Castlemaine’s first official cemetery had been established in 1852 in Templeton Street, which would later become the centre of the town. It was closed in 1856, and bodies were removed from the old cemetery to the new.
The cemetery has some traditional evergreen plantings, including pines and arbutus trees, and the quaint Sexton’s office stands near the gate.
Castlemaine Cemetery’s Chinese section features a large number of gravestones and a Funerary Tower, where offerings were burnt for the benefit of the departed.
Harcourt Cemetery is located on Harmony Way , Harcourt. Gazetted in 1862, the first burial was that of Robert Young on 30th December 1866. The cemetery features many examples of Harcourt Granite tombstones, the largest being to the memory of quarrymaster Joseph Blight. Denominational sections were allocated to the Catholic, Wesleyan, Presbyterian, Church of England